Welcome to SPORTY GIRL BOOKS. At SPORTY GIRL, we want to give all girls the chance to love, watch, play, read, and write about any sport that interests them. We look forward to the day when the words, "You play like a girl," is the biggest compliment anyone can receive.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Book Review: RACING SAVANNAH by Miranda Kinneally

Out Today!!
***I was given my copy RACING SAVANNAH by Netgalley for an honest review***




"You are really pretty..." He drags a hand through his blond hair. "But you're kind of like a great book...you know, you pick up a book at a bookstore because it has a beautiful cover...but it's what's inside that pulls you in."

That, my dear readers is my favorite line-isn't it beyond perfect? Sigh. It's one of those lines I would want a guy to say to me (maybe I'll have my husband memorize it for me (; )


I'm a HUGE fan of companion books because you can read them in any order and see bits of your favorite characters sprinkled in each book. Is you've read CATCHING JORDAN (my fav. of Miranda's), STEALING PARKER, or THINGS I CAN'T FORGET, you'll see old friends in this fourth installment of her Hundred Oaks Series, but like all great companion novels, you can read this one as a stand alone. 

Savannah Barrow is dirt poor, lost her mother, her Dad has a pregnant girlfriend and they're moving again so her dad can have better work (hopefully) at Cedar Hill Farms. The biggest surprise for this year is that the owner's son, Jack Godwin, is running the farm for the year. He has power, a great smile, and strict instructions to stay away from the staff and their quarters. (Think Downton Abby or Upstairs Downstairs.) 

But Savannah knows how to get his should-be-prize horse back on track, and more than that, she has him struggling with his promise to keep separate from "the help." Like all of Miranda's MC's, Savannah is tough stuff, totally bad a**, and not afraid to work and compete with the boys. 

Rory was my favorite secondary character. I wanted to eat at Tennessee Ballers, dance under the white tent, and visit my favorite horse as twilight settles on the farm and the stars come out.

This was a fun read. I wished for a little bit more racing and to cut one edgy scene, but otherwise it was a fun read, reminding us that girls can train hard and achieve anything they set their hearts on.

Have you read Miranda Kinneally's previous Sporty Girl Reads? Are you into horses and racing? If so, this book is definitely for you. What's your favorite recent sporty girl read?



1 comment:

  1. I used to ride all summer long but sadly haven't kept it up as an adult. My experience then was that horses were way better than guys. Will give Kenneally a try! On my other blog: #GivingTuesday and the importance of author and illustrator visits to schools and libraries! http://authorvisits.com/2013/12/03/november-round-up-and-givingtuesday/

    ReplyDelete