Welcome to SPORTY GIRL BOOKS. At SPORTY GIRL, we want to give all girls the chance to love, watch, play, read, and write about any sport that interests them. We look forward to the day when the words, "You play like a girl," is the biggest compliment anyone can receive.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Crossing the Ice with Jennifer Comeaux

I'm so happy to welcome Jennifer Comeaux to the blog today. Jennifer is author of several ice skating themed sporty girl books, the most recent: Crossing the Ice. It's just out this month!

 The blurb:

Falling hard never felt so good.

Pair skaters Courtney and Mark have one shot left at their Olympic dream. They vow not to let anything get in their way, especially not Josh and Stephanie, the wealthy and talented brother and sister team.
The heart doesn’t always listen to reason, though…

The more time Courtney spends with sweet, shy Josh, the harder she falls for him. But they are on opposite sides of the competition, and their futures are headed in opposite directions. Will their friendship blossom into more or are their paths too different to cross?
 
Sounds amazing, right? Jennifer took some time out of her busy schedule to answer some questions!
 
 
Thanks for joining me on the blog today, Jennifer!  I’m so excited to have a chance to showcase you and Crossing the Ice to our readers.

KCA: Crossing the Ice isn’t your first book about figure skating. What got you interested in figure skating? Are you a skater yourself?

JC: I’ve actually only stepped on the ice once in my life and I was terrified! I always watched skating on TV when I was a little girl, and I was always fascinated by it. When I got older, I decided to attend the national championships one year to see what a competition would be like in person, and I became an even bigger fan of the sport. It was such an incredible experience to watch the event live! After that I started travelling to multiple competitions every year.

KCA: How long have you been writing?

JC: I used to write a lot when I was a kid, but then I went many years without doing any fiction writing. It wasn’t until about five years ago that I started writing stories again.

KCA: What made you start to write seriously?

JC: I had an idea for a romance between a skater and her coach, and my friend insisted that I write it so she could read it. I was very rusty since I hadn’t written fiction in so many years, but I quickly remembered how much I loved it! The story was just supposed to be for family and friends to read, but then I decided I wanted to pursue my childhood dream of having a book published, so I turned that story into my first book Life on the Edge.

KCA: What genres do you write? Do all your books feature Sporty Girls?

JC: I write New Adult romance, and all my books do feature Sporty Girls! The heroines in my books are all female figure skaters chasing their Olympic dreams.

KCA: Can you tell us anything about your current work-in-progress?

JC: I’m currently working on some bonus scenes from Crossing the Ice and also a possible novella sequel to the book. Stay tuned for details!

KCA: Where do you find your inspiration?

JC: I get inspired by watching the beautiful performances of skaters and also from my travels to competitions. There’s so much real-life drama in skating to inspire stories!
KCA: Are you a full-time writer? What is your non-writing life like?

JC: My full-time job is very different from writing. I’m the Corporate Tax Manager for a large company. I love being able to write at night and on weekends as a creative outlet.


KCA: What is the biggest challenge you find with your writing?

JC: The biggest challenge I face is being a slow writer. Words don’t come to me easily, and I obsessively self-edit as I write, so it takes me about eight months to write a full-length novel. I envy those writers who can spit out a first draft in a month!

KCA: What are your favorite books or movies?

JC: My favorite book of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird. Some of my favorite recent books are Flat-Out Love, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Fangirl. I have lots of favorite movies, including The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Breakfast Club, Beauty and the Beast, and Center Stage.

KCA: Do you have a favorite “guilty pleasure” you can share?

JC: My favorite guilty pleasure is watching Catfish: The TV Show. That show is so crazy!

KCA: If people would like to get to know you better, do you tweet?  Blog?

JC: I do both! I love talking to readers, and you can find me on Twitter at @LadyWave4. My blog is jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com. I’m also on Facebook at Jennifer Comeaux Author.
  
Thanks to Jennifer for being here today and good luck with the new book!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me, Kristine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to go get these books! Thanks for doing this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hooked on ice romance by Ice Castles. How could anyone resist Robby Benson's blue eyes. And that song... "through the eyes of love..." it still gets stuck in my head. I'd love to see a contemporary gay romance about the ice skating world. It's time, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I can't believe I haven't read any of your books! Must track them down. I'm a little biased, but I do love a good skating book. ;)

    ReplyDelete