Welcome to SPORTY GIRL BOOKS. At SPORTY GIRL, we want to give all girls the chance to love, watch, play, read, and write about any sport that interests them. We look forward to the day when the words, "You play like a girl," is the biggest compliment anyone can receive.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Noelle Pikus-Pace: My Olympic Hero

I don't know if it's because we're both athletic moms in our thirties, both suffer miscarriages, or go to the same church and have a friend in common, but the person I've enjoyed following most this olympics is Utah-native Noelle Pikus-Pace. After placing 4th in the 2010 Olympics and missing a medal by one-tenth of a second, Noelle retired to expand her family.  Unfortunately, she lost her baby. I know too well how difficult that can be both emotionally and physically and how putting my focus on creating something else (for me music, writing, and exercise) can be healing. It was her husband who suggested maybe she should give skeleton one more shot.


Here is the link to the video of her winning run and her rush to get to her family. That joy on her face is so full. We see so much happy in winning, but none outshines hers. Unfortunately NBC wouldn't let me embed this one.
Her interview with Kristi Yamaguchu

If you're interested in Noelle, here are a few more articles on her I found inspiring:
Noelle Pikus-Pace fights through adversity for skeleton silver is Sochi
Noelle Pikus-Pace redeems herself, earns gold in record-setting time in final skeleton competition on home track

Who have you most enjoyed watching this Olympics?

1 comment:

  1. The video brought me to tears. A dream realized. Cyber hug to you, Robin!

    ReplyDelete