Welcome to SPORTY GIRL BOOKS. At SPORTY GIRL, we want to give all girls the chance to love, watch, play, read, and write about any sport that interests them. We look forward to the day when the words, "You play like a girl," is the biggest compliment anyone can receive.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sporty Girl Books of 2014: Perfect Gifts for the Holidays

With today being the first day of Hanukkah and Christmas less than ten days away, I've created a list of sporty girl books published in 2014 to help with last minute gift giving.  You're welcome:)

Middle Grade

Eliza Bing is (Not) a Big, Fat Quitter by Carmella Van Vleet (Tae Kwan Do)*
The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery by R. M. Clark (Baseball)
Pack of Dorks by Beth Vrabel (Tae Kwan Do)*^
Dance Divas: Two to Tango by Sheryl Berk (Dance)

Young Adult

Being Sloan Jacobs by Lauren Morrill (Figure Skating and Hockey)*+
Take Me On by Katie McGarry (Kickboxing)
Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Mirranda Kenneally (Running)*
Relax, I'm a Ninja by Natalie Whipple (Martial Arts)*
In Deep by Terra Elan McVoy (Swimming)
Adrenaline Crush by Laurie Crompton (Daredevil/Thrill Seeker)
Girl on a Wire, by Gwenda Bond (Circus)
Gold Metal Winter by Donna Freitas (Figure Skating)

I've heard good things about all the books on the list, but the books with an * are the ones I've personally read and can recommend
+ Books I've reviewed (click on + to read review)
^ My nine year old's favorite read of the year

Looking for more ideas? Here's a Goodreads list of Athlete Girl Novels (includes ones not published in 2014)
And, of course, you can follow the link at the top of our blog to our list of Middle Grade and Young Adult Sporty Books.

I'm sure I've missed some out this year. Please share ones you've enjoyed. I'm also interested in books for younger readers (picture books, early readers, and chapter books) so feel free to share those and help me with my last minute gift giving.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas and Kwanza!

6 comments:

  1. Great list, Robin. Thanks! Happy Holidays everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these. I need to get busy! Great list. I love all your annotations and the sport each book references. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm psyched to put these on my Goodreads "to read" shelf which is getting entirely too long. When will someone just pay me to read?!? Happy Holidays to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list, Robin! Thanks for putting it together. "Being Sloane Jacobs" was one of my favorite reads this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad my list added some new books for everyone. Seriously, Anna, I could get behind getting paid to read amazing books:)

    ReplyDelete